Visa Options


The TSS Subclass 482 Visa

The Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457) has been replaced by the new subclass 482 visa which has two streams, a short term and a medium to long term stream.

The short term stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) on a temporary basis only in occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation list (STSOL) for a TSS visa – see lists of eligible skilled occupations. It can be used to fill positions for a maximum of two years.

The medium to long terms stream stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) for periods of up to four years in occupations listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) for a TSS visa – see lists of eligible skilled occupations.  These occupation lists will change on a regular basis as part of ongoing monitoring between the department of Home Affiars and the Department of Employement.

Each stream have different occupations, requirements and caveats so it’s important to double check with category is correct for you.  The usual sponsor requirements, age, qualifications, work experience, English language and other key criteria apply for both streams.

State Sponsorship (All states)

State Sponsorship is NOT a visa application; it can only assist you in meeting the requirements for Australian visas. To apply for a visa you must first understand that you first need to apply for the State Sponsorship, then lodge an EOI (Expression of Interest) and be invited to apply for your visa by the Dept of Home Affairs. The Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) allows points-tested skilled workers to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.

The skilled nominated visa (Subclass 190) for whichever state you are applying for, is a permanent residency skilled migration visa with an occupation in high demand in Australia’s labour market. If you have the formal qualifcations, skills and experience in an occupation on the eligble list of occuations, you may be eligble to apply for this visa, if you meet ALL The criteria which is points based.

The different States have different occupation lists and different criteria to meet, so it’s important to know which State you wish to live in before making an application. For example, There is no application charge for Victorian state sponsorship, whereas there is a $200 fee for Perth Sate Sponsorship applications. Many States are seeking qualified Trades people as well as Medical and many other high priority occupations in demand.  (Again, different States have different occupation lists, but many are quite similar.)

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) Subclass 186  or RSMS (subclass 187 for Regional Australia)

The Employer Nomination Scheme allows Australian employers to sponsor workers from overseas, or who are currently in Australia or offshore to fill skilled full-time vacancies in their business. The objectives of the ENS are to a) allow Australian employers to satisfy genuine skills shortages by recruiting skilled workers, b) enhance Australia’s ability to compete globally, c) maintain the integrity of the skilled migration program and d) generally ensure there is a net benefit to Australia. The basic requirements are to be a) under 45, b) have a formal qualification which is on the skills in demand list for this stream, c) have good English, and d)have solid work experience (i.e. 3 years in total at time of lodgement).

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)  “Transition”

For when an employee has completed two out of the last three years on a 457 visa with the same company and same occupation they can apply to transition into Permanent Residency 186 Visa. (Additional eligible criteria, terms and conditions apply depending on when the 457 visa obtained)

Partner Defacto Visa

Also known as Spouse Visa , Spousal Visa,Prospective Marriage Visa, Defacto Visa, or Marriage Visa.

A partner visa allows partners of Australian citizen’s or permanent residents to apply for their partner visa to come and remain in Australia. Partner visa’s ultimately give the visa applicant permanent residency in Australia and is a two part process (depending on various factors)

Partner visa’s can be lodged either on-shore or off-shore and there are a number of key criteria that must be met before lodgement