Migration visas for family members:

Migration visas for family members

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s (DIAC) Family Stream is all about reconnecting Australian citizens, permanent residents and some New Zealand citizens (provided they are eligible) with their family members.

If you have moved to Australia and are now looking to bring a member of your family over to join you, there are a number of migration visas available that will allow you to do this.

There are specific categories for different family members, such as partners or fiances, parents or children.

The partners of Australian citizens and permanent residents may enter and remain in this country on a range of visas. This ‘partner’ category encompasses fiances, married couples and those in de facto relationships.

This final group includes same-sex partnerships.

Should your partner already be in Australia, they can apply for an 820 or 801 visa. If they are currently overseas, they can apply for a 309, 100 or 300 visa.

All of these visas will offer your partner different benefits. If you need help figuring out which one will best suit your partner’s needs and situation, we suggest you contact one of the many migration agents in Australia.

Your parents may also be able to move to Australia, provided you are a citizen or permanent resident of this country, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The DIAC has a number of aged parent visas on offer, which are designed for parents “whose age is equivalent to a person who is eligible for an Australian Age pension”.

Such immigration visas can include the 804, 864 and 884 visas. The former two are permanent visas, allowing parents to stay in Australia indefinitely, while the 884 (contributory aged parent – temporary) visa is only valid for two years.

Your children, if they are dependent or adopted, or your orphan relatives could be eligible to enter the country as well.

Again, there is a large amount of visas available that can make this happen. Which one you apply for will depend on a number of factors, such as whether the child is inside or outside of Australia when the visa application is lodged, and how they are related to you.

The visa options for family members will be one of the many topics discussed at this year’s Migration Conferences 2013, which will begin shortly.

All registered migration agents should attend so they can better help their clients understand this complex area of immigration.

Check out http://www.migration2013.com.au to discover exactly when and where this conference series is taking place.